Duration: 1 hr 30 mins
What you’ll learn
- Understand the purpose of an arterial blood gas.
- Identify the different components of an arterial blood gas.
- Describe pH balance, normal pH of human blood, acidosis, and alkalosis.
- Understand the three ways that pH balance is maintained.
- Understand how the body compensates in response to acidosis or alkalosis.
- Practice putting it all together to interpret an arterial blood gas.
Arterial blood gases (ABGs) provide valuable information about an individual’s acid-base balance, contributing to the information required in clinical treatment decisions. By participating in this course, you will learn what insights can be gained from arterial blood gas results and how they may assist in clinical treatment decision making.
Nurses and midwives
This course is part of a continuing learning program and contributes to quality and safety in healthcare.
Created By: Health Staff Ed